Friday, March 16, 2012

Callan Pinckney

Callan Pinckney
Creator of Callanetics
1939 - 2012

Callan Pinckney, born as Barbara Biffinger Pfeiffer Pinckney on 26 September 1939, died 1 March 2012, and was an American fitness professional.

She was a hero to me. I love her Callanetics and have practiced them and returned to them and recommended them again and again.

I just found out about her death and am so sad. She was an awesome lady, an adventurer, and she gave us the most beautiful way to respectfully exercise, blending dance and yoga, ever attending to a kindness to the body, old or young, and the health of the neck and spine, while showing us her way towards toned muscles and beautiful sculpted bodies that even plastic surgery cannot measure up to.

I found out about her death today as I was looking for a link to post for her "Original Callanetics." To the best of my knowledge, it is still on videotape and now also DVD, and is still often out of stock or hard to find. However, I have looked at her DVDs for the "Quick Callanetics" (all three are available on Amazon.com) which consist of three videos where she takes the same basic Original Callanetics and gives you a quicker workout, one for the legs, one for the hips and behind, and one for the stomach. These are excellent and, in 20 minutes, walk you through her movements with the added bonus that Callan herself is teaching you in these videos. She is so special that it is well worth it to learn from her very distinct, caring, and personal instruction and her awesome manner.

One of the Callanetics teachers, not Callan, also has a dance low-aerobics video, but I think the "inside walking" is better for a lower impact workout, because you tune into your own body with your own rhythm and movements.

The three "Quick Callanetics" DVDs can be done in half the time once you are familiar with them and can do them on your own. I combine all of them but like to do just the standing ones on one day (5 minutes) and just the floor ones (10-15 minutes) the next day and then repeat this sequence again in the week. But if you use the DVDs, you could benefit greatly from just doing these, each video one time a week, on alternate days, with a day in between each to rest and restore your muscles. You WILL feel and see the results!!

Here is to one awesome lady!

Callan Pinckney

Rest in Peace

File:White rose, Sissinghurst Castle garden, Kent courtesy of Wikimediacommons 

 http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:White_rose,_Sissinghurst_Castle_garden,_Kent.jpg

With love,

-bbfair

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I found your blog from a google search for Callan Pinckney.

    I went online today, just before working out with Callan's original Callanetics VHS, just to read about Callan and see what she was doing now. I was saddened to hear that she had died. She has been a tremendous help to me and my daughters. I heard about the Callanetics video from my sister (whose husband had purchased it for her). That was in 1988, and Callan helped me gain strength and tone up after having my 8th child at age 40! Before doing the workout my knees bothered me, but doing Callanetics regularly relieved that problem. I used to do the workout with my sister, her daughters and my daughters. We still like to do the workout, but would like to get it on a CD.

    Callan was an inspiration to many-- and more of us are still "in shape," thanks to her. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pj, You are very welcome. She was a great inspiration.

    And, Wow! 8 babies! You are SO rich!

    Thank you for reading here and for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello, my name is Bonnie and I found the callanetics tape at an air force base that is closed now located at Upper Heyford, England. This tape helped with toning and I was in the best shape of my life. I was always close to my weight limit and 30 years later I had some recent injuries and came back to callanetics. I recently found out she passed and feel sad. thank you Callan I will never stop these exercises.

    ReplyDelete