Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Basic Food Plan

BASIC

My basic food plan is pretty simple. It consists of eating plenty of lean protein, fresh vegetables, and fruit. 

Fruit Juice starts my day.  I might add a protein (eggs, cottage cheese, almond milk, or whole milk in coffee, etc.) to that, but the fruit juice is a must for me. (Some people like a grain, but I am not a big breakfast girl myself.)

Protein is important at every meal, but especially at lunch and dinner. Do not skimp on protein.

(I prefer lean vegetarian protein alternated with lean seafood alternated with lean poultry or eggs, with an occasional indulgence into lean beef. Grass fed and hormone free.)

Fresh Vegetables should be a BIG part of lunch and dinner. I think they are best mixed between raw and steamed or sauteed. Go for colorful, beautiful, life-enriched vegetables.

Fruit as a snack (Think Apple!) or dessert is perfect!

Flavor. Flavor. Flavor. Think smart flavor. There is no such thing as a bad sauce or dip so long as you are smart about it, the ingredients are healthy, and you either keeping it low in calories or adjusted to your daily calorie intake. I love spicy sauces, herb sauces, soups, and healthy flavors to add a bit onto a vegie or to cook with along with my olive oil nonstick spray.  Healthy, good, whole foods should also mean yummy!  My motto:  Eating Right Should Be Delicious!

Lots of water. Lately, I have been in love with Cascade Ice, Organic Lemon Zest and Organic Lemon Lime, that I discovered in the health food section of my local store. (There are other flavors too.) They come in nice plastic bottles that look so fresh visually too and are easy to take with you. They make me feel like I am treating myself as well as quenching my thirst. There is something about pure sparkling lemon or lime waters that feels like a special indulgence and freshens the palate while quenching your thirst. I go walking with them. I keep them in my car for long drives. There are lots of ways to have water! Tea is also good. Some people (me!) LOVE their coffee, but it's not a substitute for water. Just remember that and then go ahead and enjoy it then, but keep it in perspective and count the calories you add to it (I like whole milk with my coffee in the morning!) and still drink your water!

If you are trying to lose weight or are watching it, count your calories. Know what your set-point is for burning.

For me, when I am fine with my weight and my daily exercise is pretty regular, I can eat like this and not worry about watching the calories. This is a healthy eating plan for me. I can occasionally go off it for an indulgence and no problemo. It carries me forward with life and vitality if it is my main program.

However, when I am trying to trim down, I know what I have to do. For me, to lose weight, (I am 5' 6-1/2"), that means, if I am doing my daily 30 minute cardio, I can eat between 1200 and 1700 calories a day ( I end up with a daily average around 1400-1500 usually) and still lose weight.  If I am unable to do the cardio (like this last week when I've had to work around a neck sprain/strain) I try to be more conscious of keeping the calories slightly lower (about 200 less a day) than when I am able to work out daily.

Note: that especially watching your calories before an "event" or "holiday" helps average an indulgence day out before it happens too.

Important: Eat when you are hungry, best at the first sign. Ask yourself: what am I hungry for?  If you keep a well-stocked kitchen and fridge (see my grocery lists) , it should be easy to go for the right hungry choices.

Eat as much as you need to feel satisfied, then stop. Not before you are satisfied, not beyond. Learn to recognize that point. For me, that sometimes means 2 ounces of protein is not enough. I need more protein in my diet to feel right, so maybe at that meal, I need 4 ounces or even 8 ounces. Or maybe more dark greens or a tomato finish. Learn to listen to your body. (So long as you are selecting from the basic good food groups (lean proteins, fresh vegetables, and fresh fruits - and all of these kinds of foods are good for you!), your body is asking for what it really needs to feel balanced and nourished. And if you give your body what it is clearly asking for, that it needs, it will begin to work with you more and more.

Tip: What I like to do is (and this comes naturally to me from listening to my body and my own hunger needs signals, knowing that some days I am really hungry and other days only so-so) alternate bigger calorie dinners with lower calorie dinners giving me satisfying eating experiences that still keep my average daily calorie count in the sweet spot. It really helps and makes you feel like you are never on a diet, but more like you have especially good days in between on-target days.

Hope this is helpful to any of you out there. Keeping to these principles has given me tremendous freedom and is, I believe, a nice way to eat healthy and delicious!

-bbffair

No comments:

Post a Comment