Sunday, July 3, 2011

Callanetics and My Basic Exercise Plan


Callanetics, along with my own version of daily cardio-dance,  have been my tried and true exercise program for the most part for more than twenty years. You only have to do the Callanetics two times a week. It is gentle and deeply nourishing and you get results.

Twenty years ago, I bought the original video for the Callanetics program. It is a very deeply thoughtful and well researched program with dance moves and yoga moves in mind, with enormous respect for the neck and the knees and posture, etc. It is about working little muscles, but not straining or injuring anything.

When I originally used Callanetics, after working with it awhile, I abbreviated it, mostly changing the exercises from 100 reps to 50 reps. This allowed me to do the program in 20 minutes. Furthermore, I memorized it. I only had to do it twice a week for results. In fact, it asked you to take days in between so that your muscles and any soreness (and you will be amazed at how sore these "gentle" exercises can make you if you are new to them) repaired and recovered first.

A month ago, I had a hurt neck (not good) from Tracy Anderson's Metamorphosis and, admittedly, also some boredom. I had a serious "bump-in-the-road" and I needed a new plan-of-action.

(Another member over on Tracy's forum also wrote about going back to Callanetics when the going got tough with the Tracy route, which made me thoughtful.  The Tracy method is and has been very effective for me–for the first three levels anyway–but hey, we all need to pay attention to what needs to be tailored to our specific needs and capacities, and whereas I am not giving up entirely on the Tracy meta program,  I may need to add it back in more like seasoning or alternating workouts on a more workable plan for me as I go).

I began by taking a longish break from her routine after 30 days. Though I had had a LOT of results from the first 30 days, on the 4th level, when I injured myself, I needed some time off, which I took without too much of a loss from my results.  I still feel they are very inspiring (!) , but I needed a more sustainable plan. I am just not an "ongoing bootcamp" kind of girl.

Then this last week, I actually sprained my neck (will explain that in a future post).

So where did I turn? I always return to Callanetics.

This week, I began a new program for myself:  It begins with gentle 20 minutes of Callanetics (all the exercises, but at 50 reps max except for the last inner thigh exercise which I do for the full 100 counts).

I began with a Tuesday and Saturday routine (giving me at least two days in between each workout for repair and restoration) for these. Eventually, when I am ready and my body and schedule can accommodate it, maybe in a few weeks, I will add in Thursday too, just for extra toning.

I do these gently. Even with a sprained/strained neck, I can do these. And, believe it or not, even after the Tracy exercises, the first Callanetics in a longish time left me feeling the burn and the work of these gentle exercises the next two days!

But they are sooo gentle, that I have been able to do them without any fear of further injury to my poor sprained/strained neck, doing them especially respectfully to that of course.

I have added into the middle of them a select few of the Tracy exercises for extra leg and butt work.

The beauty of the basic Callanetics (beside the results!!) is that they are so soothing to do. One feels quite relaxed afterwards and (since I have them memorized) I can do them while watching a television program or the news. I don't have any dependence on a DVD or video to move through them.

I am so impressed with these tried and true exercises that I goggled Callantetics to see what they have developed since. LOTS!  I plan to order the cardio (See the youtube clip above for an example of that! Looks yummy to me!) and a couple of the specialty ones. Why not? The original worked for me off and on for many years and I always have come back to it to add into my own cardio.

~~

So My Own New Ideal Exercise Program, right now, has morphed to the following:

Monday:

30 minutes light cardio (I've never felt it made a difference to sweat or work that hard for  "results" but the "continuous" part is essential!) 

and (Additional Option Add On):


3 mile walk* (about 45 minutes, leisurely walk, can be social, like with a friend or my husband or dog or a walk to the store, etc.)  (*weather and time permitting and if my body feels like it).

(*Note: I aim for 3 to 5 of these leisurely 3 mile walks a week on average when I am feeling like moving more or upping my on-my-feet momentum.)

~~

Tuesday:

30 minutes light cardio

20 minutes  Callanetics (with a choice few of Tracy's leg and butt moves added into the  floor work)



and (Additional Option Add On):

3 mile walk* (about 45 minutes, leisurely walk, can be social, like with a friend or my husband or dog or a walk to the store, etc.)  (*weather and time permitting and if my body feels like it).

~~

Wednesday:   

30 minutes light cardio

 and 


Housework or Garden Work (It's exercise too, right?? Right!!)

~~


Thursday:   

30 minutes light cardio

and (Additional Option Add On):
 

3 mile walk* (about 45 minutes, leisurely walk, can be social, like with a friend or my husband or dog or a walk to the store, etc.)  (*weather and time permitting and if my body feels like it).

 ~~


Friday:   

30 minutes light cardio


and (Additional Option Add On):
 

3 mile walk* (about 45 minutes, leisurely walk, can be social, like with a friend or my husband or dog or a walk to the store, etc.)  (*weather and time permitting and if my body feels like it).

~~


Saturday:   

30 minutes light cardio

20 minutes  Callanetics (with a choice few of Tracy's leg and butt moves added into the  floor work)



~~

Sunday:  

Off

~~

(*Note:  And, while injured, I am permitting myself to let go of the 30 minutes cardio for now, so I can heal, and emphasizing the walking, when I can, instead. And I am being more careful with the calories as I will explain in a post over the next week.)

~~

There is freedom in having an exercise program that you can adapt to your own needs and that frees you from necessarily needing DVDs or gyms or studios to go to.

And, I am so impressed with the glimpse of the new Callanetics cardio, that I am going to order it and try it and a couple of the other new videos out and maybe mix them up a bit! Hey! Why not?!

(P.S. And I'll let you know, down the road how they work out for me too! Promise!)

I'd love to hear about any of your own altered–specific to your own needs–adapted programs and how they serve you. But thought you might enjoy hearing about mine too!

 -bbffair

(P.S.  Callanetics has a killer inner thigh exercise: You sit on the floor with your legs outstretched towards a chair and put your feet (middle of the soles) on the outside legs of the chair and squeeze your legs and thighs together as hard as you can, keeping up the intensity of the squeeze for the slow count of 100 and then release and you feel amazing afterwards too.)

5 comments:

  1. I've done Callanetics in the past and forgot about the great results I had. I've been doing Tracy, but the floor moves where you're on one elbow are really hard on my left shoulder. What Callentics video have you been using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gone back to the basics, the original one. It's great and so gentle and yet effective. Like I said, I'm going to also explore the newer Callanetics too and will report back on that after I've spent some quality time with the different versions. But what I LOVE is not just the results, but the attention to not-injuring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for directing me to your post--very informative and inspiring! I'm just starting out with Callanetics--so far I've tried it for about a week and there must've been results as my partner commented on how great my jeans were fitting :) Will check back and see how your routine is going in future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pauper! Yes, I agree that Callanetics is very effective for me too and so respectful to my body.
    Even abbreviated versions of it are great in my experience. And I will write future posts about the new DVDs.
    So glad to hear you are also experiencing this practice with great results! It's all about what works for each individual, what fits their lifestyle, and sometimes you've got to mix it up to find the given balance at different times in your life.
    But I always come back to the basic Callanetics and I am always amazed at how gentle and welcoming they are as well as the results they produce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very much happy to share to every viewers that is reading this,I want to inform the whole public of how I got help for my herpes, I wanted this since 6 months ago, I have also taken treatment from some doctor,few weeks back I came on the net to see if I will be able to get any information as to cure my herpes, on my search I saw various testimony of people who was helped by a great man called Dr Akhigbe and without any hesitation, I contacted him, I wrote to him and and he guided me, I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for me and indeed 3 weeks after I started using the medicine, I was completely happy as it worked for me.I went to the hospital for check up and indeed I was declared negative from my disease, and I also waited again for two weeks and went back to another hospital for check up to be fully sure and to my great surprise I was still declared negative, and I decided to share this great opportunity to those people out there fighting this sickness, You can contact him now for your medicine to cure your diseases, contact his Email;  drrealakhigbe@gmail.com     or     Whatsapp     +2349010754824    website. http://drrealakhigbe.weebly.comDr  Akhigbe also cure diseases like..
    HIV,  Herpes , Cancer,  Chronic Disease,  Asthma ,  Parkinson's disease,  External infection,  Als, progeria, common cold,  multiple sclerosis disease,   Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea, Heart Disease, meningitis, Esquizofrenia, Toxoplasmosis, Pulmonary Fibrosis,Diabetes,  Kidney Disease,  Lupus,  Epilepsy,   Stroke,Eczema, Erysipelas, Tetanus,  Eating Disorder,  Back Pain. Osteoporosis etccontact him for your solution.

    ReplyDelete