Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fruits and Vegetables

Isn't this an appetizing image!! All that delicious life force laid out before you.

Looking at, smelling, handling the food with joy and appreciation is all a part of healthy eating. When I am buying food, I want it to be beautiful and to call to me. I want it in my kitchen, in my vegetable drawer. Isn't it a wonderful experience to go to a farmer's market or a place like Whole Foods where they make walking through the produce department so inviting!

(I remember when "health food" had a lot of very depressing and anemic-looking glum people hanging around drab bins of oats with brown paper bags. No more!! Back then I thought that if that was health food, I wanted me my decadent food. Eating right needs to be attracting, don't you think! Marketers finally caught on. Nowadays, it is with relish that we walk through health food displays.)

It seems to me the first order of business in eating right is to enjoy it thoroughly! The tastes, smells, textures, colors, variations. I no longer feel that way about sugary heavy foods that used to call out trying to seduce me, and although I still love a fine wine or a sweet dessert now and then, I let my senses be drawn towards the life energy of naturally good-for-me foods. And when I prepare food or cook, I like to smell each ingredient, pick up the vibration and the energy of it all and enjoy being in my kitchen. And I love the presentation of serving it like works of art.

It can be such a nourishing practice to love and appreciate your food knowing it is perfect and will be good for you.

So that's your assignment, if you aren't doing it already. Go out shopping next time leaving any old thoughts about that bakery section behind and let the fruits and vegetables section of your market have at it with you and shift your allegiances.

May The Force Be With You!

-bbffair

[This great picture today of Fruits and Vegetables came from http://www.knowabouthealth.com]

Tip for the Day: when you are eating out, you can learn to ask for "double vegetables" and skip the starch, fresh fruit for dessert, and skip the cheese in your omelet. (Did you notice that I do!)

No comments:

Post a Comment