Thursday, June 2, 2011

Grilled Shrimp


This is one of my favs.

First I make my trusty Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing with just a tad less mayo and the buttermilk and I put it in the fridge to get nice and chilled. And I keep it in a non-see-through container because I don't want to be too tempted to use this except sparingly for treats like this. Or, you can make a partial amount. It's also best fresh and leftover amounts should be tossed after a week.

Use very fresh shrimp or prawns, raw, and divined, and peeled (tail optional).

And, by the way, fresh water shrimps that have been cracked open with the shell are amazing, like mini-lobsters. Again, buy very fresh.

I put them in a low pan and spray the shrimp with Pam Olive Oil and coat them with Chef Paul Prudhomme's seafood magic, both sides. No oil! No bad calories. Just yumm.

Then, it's a couple of minutes under broil or (skewered) on the grill, turned half-way.

I love the Ranch Dressing as a dip for these. I have these cute little chicky bowls that I put a little personal dip in for each plate and you can measure it to be certain about the calories. (There are about 110 in two TBSPs so I keep mine to four TBSPs when I'm making a whole meal of it. That still keeps my total calorie count for a half-pound of grilled shrimp and dip to about 460 calories).

Okay, there ARE calories in the dip, but it balances out, does not wreck my diet, and, there is NO oil on the shrimps, so it's a nice, neat-o trade.

-bbffair

5 comments:

  1. this looks soooo delicious - I definitely have to try that recipe !!! thanx sooo much for sharing. I am not the greatest cook but I enjoy cooking and I am always looking for new recipes!!! I'll tell you if I tried this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to hear. I'm not the greatest cook myself, but I love to eat well and, whereas I appreciate an occasional big journey into cooking something exotic, I am much more all about quick, fast, affordable, AND delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, and food that is full of life! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, tried the grilled shrimps with risotto rice and made a broccoli soup (well unfortunately it wasn't soup after cooking more like mashed broccoli (with soup greens) but it tasted delicious so no soup but mashed broccoli :-)!
    thank you so much for your recipes they are soo inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nina! I'm so glad you liked the grilled shrimp!
    Please comment or email me anytime you have a good recipe to share too!

    ReplyDelete