Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Grocery List - Continued /AKA The Basic Spices

Meet Chef Paul Prudhomme, one of my heroes!! Yes, the originator of Seafood Magic, one of my most indispensable spices. I LOVE this spice! I love cooking with it on shrimp and seafood and chicken too (better even than the poultry seasoning by far).

And if I ever get a chance, I'm going to eat at Chef Paul's restaurant down in Louisiana and thank him personally! And I LOVE that it's available everywhere!

Get some, cook with it. It is awesome! And, oh, did I bother to say it has a calorie count of one big fat 0, zero-bazero calories. Yep, my kind of hot and spicy!

Okay, back to:

The Grocery List - Continued
(AKA: " The Basic Spices!"
)

-Chef Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic

-(If you're out and about and can get to a William-Sonoma store, they also have a Potlatch Seasoning, a rub for salmon and seafood that is really, really good too. The only problem for me with that is that the store is not my corner grocery store and I am not a mall girl except when I am on a shopping spree.)

-McCormick Lemon and Herb (I like this so much better than lemon peppers that get too gritty and I like my peppers fresh and separate. This is a very nice lemon herb, but sometimes hard to find.)

-Original Spike gourmet seasoning (Although I don't use this as much as I used to, it is wonderful on fresh corn or on some sandwiches.)

-fresh ground pepper (There IS a difference between fresh pepper and old pepper, so buy it in smaller quantities and more often!)
-fresh pepper-mill black pepper
-fresh four-peppercorn pepper-mill (great on eggs!)

-Pam Olive Oil nonstick spray

-Original Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Packets

-small container of buttermilk (When the recipe comes up–very soon!–for spicy shrimp/but not a regular household item as it will not keep.)
-small jar of Hellman's Mayonnaise (Sometimes you have to go there.)

-fresh cilantro
-fresh big white nice looking mushrooms
-a fresh cucumber
-fresh red radishes
-a nice fresh avocado or two
-fresh lemons

-one seedless watermelon (Oh come on, it's summertime!)

(Note: make sure you still have Del Monte's original recipe canned stewed tomatoes and Freshlike canned small sliced beets in your cupboard from an earlier list too.)

-Imagine Bistro Organic Cuban Black Bean Bisque (You'll find this in the health food section and, OMG! A long time ago, my husband and I passed through Asheville, North Carolina and had the best darn bowl of black bean soup I've ever had in my life and it also happened to be my first too. It was sooooo delicious that, four years later, we went out of our way on another southern trip and back to Asheville with another bowl of that very same black bean soup in mind. Alas, in spite of Asheville being a very good stop altogether, the soup was no longer to be found. Many, many years and many samplings later, finally, this is IT! This is incredible, back-to-Asheville fine fine fine!) (4 servings in a box.)

-Pacific Natural Foods All Natural Thai Sweet Potato Soup (Small box - 2 servings a box.)

-tin foil

-ginger sauce (we are always on the hunt for good ginger sauces and they always seem to come and go. Please let us know if you find one that is worth hunting down. I am talking about the orangish-yellow colored sauce that doesn't have any stand-out onion overtones. Right now, we are settling with the Whole Food's 365 Soy Ginger Sauce.

-soy-ginger sauce (same story as above - only this one is the dark, thick, black colored sauce. Right now we are going with Annie Chun's.)

(If you can find it, the Ginger People sauces are top! Buy the Lime Ginger (it is awesome all by itself over sea bass on the grill!) and the Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce. The store locator is found here: http://www.gingerpeople.com/storelocator/location/map/
They were everywhere in our town and then they all but disappeared with only one or two of their unbelievable sauces to be found! Why is ginger such a fleeting find???)

-Korean Sweet and Spicy Sauce (There are a number of brands. I'm still experimenting. One has 100 calories and another 45 per serving. I like the spicy, less sugary variety and, so far, nothing beats the kitchen-made sauce that our local Thai restaurant puts together. Grin!)

Okay, you are set up nicely with this list.

For the soon-to-be-following recipes, you will also need on the day you plan to cook it:

-fresh peeled and divined raw shrimp
-fresh thick even piece of nice salmon
-fresh (or still frozen with the ice crystals still on them in the fresh fish department) big sea scallops

NOTE: You will want to get your fish fresh daily. (Always do that! And smell it too. Old shrimp stinks. Fresh fish never does. If it doesn't look good to you, keep shopping.)

-bbffair

No comments:

Post a Comment